“Caddy and I ran. We ran up the kitchen steps, onto the porch, and Caddy knelt down in the dark and held me… “I wont.” she said. “I wont anymore, ever. Benjy. Benjy.” Then she was crying, and I cried, and we held each other. “Hush.” she said. “Hush. I wont anymore.” So I hushed and Caddy got up and we went into the kitchen and turned the light on and Caddy took the kitchen soap and washed her mouth at the sink, hard. Caddy smelled like trees.
I kept a telling you to stay away from there, Luster said. They sat up in the swing, quick. Quentin had her hands on her hair. He had a red tie.”
I choose this passage because represents Caddy as a symbol for Benjy for affection and for his importance in a world that seemed to never want him. Caddy is the biggest character in the book; Compson life centers around her. For Quentin she represent everything he feels pressure to protect and preserve. She is the reason he fight for the honor of strangers and for his obsession with sex. His obsession with her is a representation of everything else he obsesses over, everything else he cannot control.
You can also see Jason’s view of the world through his relationship with Caddy. He blames Caddy for everything, for disgracing the family, for losing him his future, for dropping Quentin into his lap. When in actuality Caddy sacrificed for the family, her daughter, and for Jason. Jason rationalizes his action (like his theft from Quentin) he views himself as much more than he is or as a result of an unfair lot in life.
To me if you know Caddy’s story you know the whole story. Some may ask why Caddy is not given a chapter to narrate. Its because thats not Caddy’s purpose. Just like how the point of reading The Sound and The Fury is not to hear a story. You know the whole story by then end of the Benjy chapter. There is no great plot twist or mystery to keep reading for. The Sound and The Fury is a work of literature that captures complex emotions and images that we all experience but can never put into words. And Caddy is the perfect representation of what literature is suppose to be. She serves a purpose not for the story but for the book and that is an important distinction. Words are meant to share and a great work The Sound and The Fury is meant to convey and relate the more abstract things that we often have trouble sharing.
excellent
ReplyDeleteI agree that Caddy is the story. She is the whole thing, she starts the conflict and also many of the characters motivations are driven because of her. Also, I like what you said about her purpose not being to be a narrator, she is a purpose for disscusiion, and that she is an abstract character, especially in the context of the old south. I liked your connection to Jason and his anger/hatred towards her. I thought it really drove his character and it was cool to see that you agreed.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree that caddy was a symbol for benjy. She symbolized affection and love. You totally nailed it. I completely agree with the way you analyzed caddy in relation to benjy! Great job!
ReplyDeleteYour analysis of the role of Caddy was well done. Your conclusion that Caddy does not need a chapter is completely supported. I believe Faulker wished to keep Caddy dynamic, where any reader can interpret her to their understanding. She is the keystone to this book, and demonstrates the potential of emotional gravity of an individual.
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you opened this blog; it captures the reader's attention. I liked your point on, " importance in a world that seemed to never want him." also on how Caddy is the most important charcter in the novel. I feel like you have a good handle of the story.
ReplyDeleteI love how you incorporated the quote. It makes the blog so much stronger. You then took it and explained the symbolism. It is an excellent quote to explain all this. You incorporate the main characters very well. It's a very strong analysis. I like how you center it around Caddy. She is very important to the book, and you make that very clear. I agree with your points!
ReplyDeleteThis blog post perfectly exemplifies Caddy's character and sympathetic attitude towards others. I also completely agree that she is a very symbolic character, which makes her critical to the plot.
ReplyDelete