“When they began to sell the land to send Quentin to Harvard I told your father that he must make an equal provision for you. Then when Herbert offered to take you into the bank I said, Jason is provided for now, and when all the expense began to pile up and I was forced to sell our furniture and the rest of the pasture, I wrote her at once because I said she will realise that she and Quentin have had their share and part of Jason’s too and that it depends on her now to compensate him… You were right to reproach me.”
“Do you think I need any man’s help to stand on my feet?” I says. “Let alone a woman that can't name the father of her own child.”
Unlike the other narratives Jason spends his time in the present. Jason’s only concern is the next day, this is seen in the way he has hoarded money his entire. He doesn't plan to save it or use it. He only plans to have it and get more. He views himself as a patriarch without shouldering any real responsibility. Throughout his life he is constantly helped by his family but he still feels he is unappreciated. Jason feels entitled to the help he has received; he is ungrateful for the job his mother got for him, resent Caddy for losing him the job at the bank, and he sees no wrong in stealing Quentin's money ann manipulating his mother. Jason's attitude and character remains constant throughout the book and only changes to fit his more vulgar grown up life style. Jason is the last remaining compson child except for Benjy, and though this pleases his mother, he does not do the family name better than the others.
excellent
ReplyDeleteGreat analysis Missy! I completely agree. I think Jason takes his advantages for granted. He has many opportunities to be a good person and make something of himself, but he is so caught up in himself that he doesn't do anything with them. I think that he needed to grow out of his selfish childishness, but he never does.
ReplyDeleteGood job girl! I agree with everything you stated in this blog. Honestly I think you could be a blogger! When you said that Jason spends his time in the present I thought about it. That makes a lot of sense. He is only concerned with money and how he will get it leading to his concern of the future close to nothing.
ReplyDeleteThis is really good! I agree with the idea that Caddy is the primary character in the book. She is the one that is keeping everyone together. The quote is a prime example of showing this and you also did an excellent job of explaining it.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your under appreciated point, Jason feels that he is a major pillar in the stability of the family. It is true that he bases his actions off of feelings. Good Blog, the comparison is accurate
ReplyDelete